Alley GatorPoster topBLOGArticles and CommentsSongsTimelinePlaylistsAlbumsDatabaseAlbum ListsArtistsPantheonArtist ListsResourcesBits and PiecesTips & AdviceBooks & Websites

Comments - Songs

GIMME SOME LOVIN` - THE SPENCER DAVIS GROUP - 1967
Alley Gator says:
02/28/13 10:05 pm
It's so cool to see Winwood play the same song in 2011 he did in 1967. Maybe the greatest white soul vocal performance ever. And one of the greatest rock/soul organ riffs. Whew!

I loved it the first moment I heard it and I love it just as much today. One of my top 40 tracks of all-time.
catfish says:
03/01/13 3:31 pm
Great! "So glad we made it" takes on new meaning.
cornercat says:
03/02/13 2:47 am
Do you like the US release better, or the original English release? The US version has the piano, the energetic backup vocals, and kind of a wild 'live' vibe; the English version features maximumally awesome B3, no piano, no background vocs, less cluttered, some might say, the verses are in a different order and it might be a tiny, teensy touch slower.

BTW, on both he sings "feet left the floor," which makes sense, as opposed to covers by other artists who seem to think the words were "feet on the floor" Probably dates from Sam and Dave, I guess.

Anyway both versions, rock like crazy, both vocals are amazing. You could certainly make a case for either one, but my pick would be the US version. I think the vibe and the energy of it are unstoppable.
Alley Gator says:
03/02/13 9:25 pm
cornercat says:
03/06/13 10:50 pm
Alley Gator said: Where does one find the original English release? I've got maybe a half dozen CDs with "Gimme Some Lovin'," including the Winwood box set, and I think they're all the same version.
Try this: Gimme Some Lovin' Uk version

Other than the first bass note, where the guy's turntable isn't up to speed, this one is fine. The other version I saw uploaded seemed a little inferior sonically for some reason, but they got the bass note right, if that bugs you, it's called "alternate take."
Alley Gator says:
03/07/13 10:19 pm
What fun blasting both versions to compare them! Thanks for posting this link!!

I like each/both of them. Having heard the background vocals all along, I miss them in the UK version, but the added "space" has its virtues, too. I hadn't noticed the piano before and don't miss it in the UK version. Finally, I'd pick the US version, too.

I'm struck by how propulsively the bass guitar pushes the rhythm forward, just ahead of the beat. There are so many great elements to this song!